The tutor system is for the international students who newly entered Tohoku University, and the tutors help them to get accustomed to their new surroundings as quickly as possible by offering advice on studies and daily life. While international students are basically expected to rely on their own efforts, tutors will support them in areas where they encounter difficulties or where obstacles may arise due to differences in culture, customs, language, etc. Tutors may offer assistance in a wide range of areas, including support for daily living, assistance with completing various procedures, explanation of Japanese culture, history and customs, guidance on everyday Japanese language, and advice or guidance on research activities.
1. Students eligible for the system
- Undergraduate students within two years of admission (within one year for those admitted to classes beyond the freshman course)
- Graduate and research students within one year of admission (except those who have graduated from a university in Japan)
- Others considered to be in urgent need of assistance in their study
As a rule, tutors are not provided for Intensive Japanese Language Course trainees or recipients of one-year Japanese government scholarships for Japanese studies.
Students who would like to have a tutor should consult with the academic advisors and staff in charge of international student affairs in their respective faculties, institutes, etc.
Undergraduate international students who are not assigned to a laboratory should consult with the Division of International Education & Exchange (ext. 7996, email@example.com).
2. Tutor’s Activity
- Advice on research fields and classes (explanation of terms used in classes, experiments, seminars, etc.)
- Assistance in adapting to cultural differences
- Assistance with daily life
- Japanese language guidance, explanation of culture/history/customs
- Assistance with various procedures
- External procedures
- Alien registration, application for National Health Insurance, opening bank accounts, setting up cell phone contracts
- Opening individual postal savings accounts, etc.
- Internal procedures
- Admission procedures, international student registration, library user registration, etc.
- External procedures
- Help in finding accommodation
- Accompanying to hospital in case of illness or injury
- Support when applying for optional insurance (automobile, motorbike), etc.
- Coordination of social opportunities (introduction to club activities, etc.)