About Us | Educational Goal
The mission of the Tohoku University is to perform education and research at the highest international levels of excellence. Making best use of its renowned tradition and integration faculties, graduate schools, research institutes, and other educational and research centers and facilities, the University aims to develop its historical position as a center of excellence for the creation of general knowledge and as a "Research-intensive University" emphasizing the graduate courses in association with education in the faculties.
Expressing the university's traditional spirit of "Research First", the Graduate School of Engineering provides teaching staff and research facilities for the forefront of research. In such intellectual environment, the educational goal of the Graduate School of Engineering is to develop researchers with creativity and high abilities and engineers with highly specialized knowledge. They are expected to be able to carry out their own creative research and play a major role in the progress and innovation of future science and technology, aiming at realizing safe and enriched society on the basis of a broad perspective and deep knowledge of humanity and nature.
The educational goal of the Master's Degree Program is to develop researchers able to acquire extensive academic ability necessary for performing research, to develop the research subject from their original ideas, and to present research papers at national academic meetings. The prospective researchers are also required to acquire research skills in their specialized fields, or more generic fundamental ability and advanced technical skills for carrying out research and engineering guidance.
The educational goal of the Doctoral Degree Program is to develop researchers able to cultivate research subjects in the light of societal demands, to develop them with their original ideas, and to present research papers at international academic meetings. The prospective researchers are also required to be able not only to carry out research independently on the basis of their own research experience but also to lead research projects from an extensive viewpoint while continuing self-education.
The achievement of these goals will be evaluated as follows:
Master's Degree Program:
- Ability to develop and carry out research from their original ideas
- Comprehensive knowledge of published scientific papers and technical material
- Fundamental knowledge and ability in research subjects and related research fields
- Presentation and discussion ability of their research at national academic meetings
- Writing ability of academic reports
- Ability as teaching assistants for practice/experiments of undergraduate students
Doctoral Degree Program:
- Ability to plan and carry out research subjects
- Ability to investigate and critically analyze scientific papers and technical material
- Fundamental ability to write highly reputed international papers and to evaluate related research fields
- Presentation ability of their research at international academic meetings
- Ability as teaching assistants for research of the Master's course students and extensive academic ability to lead research from an extensive viewpoint
Students are required to fully acquire and achieve these goals when they complete their graduate programs.