Status of Residence after Leaving Tohoku University
The "Student" status of residence is only valid during the period of enrollment in Tohoku University.
Although you still have remaining days, your period of stay will be “invalid” if you leave Tohoku University due to graduation, withdrawal from a program or completion of your study period as a research student.
Staying in Japan with an "invalid" status of residence is illegal. If you are planning to stay in Japan after leaving Tohoku University for an employment or continuing your study in other institution, please be sure to maintain an appropriate status of residence by taking necessary procedures. Please refer to the following articles for further information.
- Return to your home country after leaving Tohoku university
- Working in Japan after leaving Tohoku university
- Attending a different educational institution after leaving Tohoku university
- Seeking an employment in Japan after leaving Tohoku university. (Regular students only)
1. Return to your home country after leaving Tohoku university
You do not need to change your "Student" status of residence. However, please note that continuing to stay in Japan as a "student" is illegal if you do not return to your home country immediately after leaving Tohoku University.
If you wish to stay in Japan for a short period of time after leaving Tohoku University, such as for preparation for your return, you must change your status of residence from "Student" to "Temporary Visitor".
Immigration Services Agency of Japan will grant permission for foreign students who have difficulty returning to their home countries due to the effects of COVID-19 to change their status of residence to “Designated Activities” (6 months with a permission to work part-time up to 28 hours per week). Please be sure to take the necessary procedures if applicable.
2. Working in Japan after leaving Tohoku university (If you have already found employment)
You must change your status of residence from “Student” to appropriate status depending on your job type. The type of status of residence differs depending on the type of employment. Please follow the instructions from your employer.
3. Attending a different educational institution after leaving Tohoku university
Although you will maintain "Student" status, you must submit a “NOTIFICATION OF THE ACCEPTING ORGANIZATION” to Regional Immigration Bureau to attend a different educational institution. (This is not required for students remaining in Tohoku University to pursue an advanced degree.)
4. Seeking an employment in Japan after leaving Tohoku university. (Regular students only)
If you are seeking an employment, please change your status of residence from "Student" to "Designated Activities". If the change is approved, you will be allowed to stay in Japan for six months and extend your status for another six months (one year in total).