Required Insurance for All International Students of Engineering School
Gakkensai, Comprehensive Insurance for Student Lives Coupled with “Gakkensai” (Inbound futai-gakuso)
All international students are required to enroll in both of the following types of insurance to achieve safe campus lives in Japan;
‘Gakkensai’ and ‘Comprehensive Insurance for Student Lives Coupled with “Gakkensai” (“Inbound futai-gakuso”)‘.
Students who are not enrolled yet need to apply quickly as possible according to the link below.
The enrollment in “Gakkenbai” is not required for international students.
What is “GAKKENSAI”?
“GAKKENSAI” means Personal Accident Insurance for Student Pursuing Education and Research.
It is an accident compensation insurance covering unforeseen disasters and accidents during regular curricular activities, school events, extracurricular (club) activities, and while on the university premises.
Coverage for personal accidents during commuting to school is added. For further details, please see the link below.
*The students who are not sure whether enrolled or not, can inquire with Student Support Section (phone: 022-795-5822) or the Student Affairs Section of each department.
*The students who have already enrolled in other accident insurance or liability insurance are also required to enroll in “GAKKENSAI.”
How to enroll in “GAKKENSAI”
You can apply by payment slip.
- Get it at the Student Support Section or Student Affairs Section of each department.
Confirm if it is appropriate for you, as there are 2 types; for international bachelor student and for international graduate student.
- The insurance period equals to the term until your graduation of school.
- e.g. You are now
- --- in the 2nd grade of bachelor degree,
- you need to pay for whole 3 years
- --- in the 4th grade of bachelor planning to go on to upper school,
- you need to pay for 1 year, and soon after you go on to the master, you need to pay for another 2 years
- --- remaining in the same class for another year,
- you need to pay for another 1 year
- Write down the premium referring to the table below. You need to pay “GAKKENSAI” separately with “INBOUND FUTAI-GAKUSO” because the recipient is different.
- Transfer insurance premium payments relevant to your enrollment term of the school from Japan Post Bank, the post office, or at the Window 3 of Kawauchi Kita Campus. On the next day you paid, the insurance becomes effective.
|4th grade of BC,
2nd grade of MC,
3rd grade of DC,
|1 year||1,000 yen|
|3rd grade of BC,
1st grade of MC
2nd grade of DC
|2 years||1,750 yen|
|2nd grade of BC,
1st grade of DC
|3 years||2,600 yen|
|1st grade of BC||4 years||3,300 yen|
*The coverage for personal accidents during commuting to school (abbreviated as “commuting coverage” is included in the premiums. Students are required to be insured in this course though fees are described separately in the pamphlet.
What is “INBOUND FUTAI-GAKUSO”?
This is a comprehensive insurance policy for international students only during the term in Tohoku University, covering liability, injury, illness, rescuer expenses, death and residual disability not only resulted on the school premises and regular curricular activities but also on private life.
Students can enroll on the monthly basis, but the insurance period should be equal to the enrollment term in Tohoku University.
*Only students who are enrolled in “GAKKENSAI” are eligible for this insurance.
*The students of JYPE, COLABS, DEEP and bachelor’s degree don’t need to apply again for this insurance as enrollment procedure is completed at the entrance of Tohoku University.
How to enroll in “INBOUND FUTAI-GAKUSO”
You can apply using payment slip attached to the pamphlet.
- 1. Get them at the Student Support Section, Window 2 on the 3rd floor of the Central Square, School of Engineering.
- 2. Transfer insurance premium payments relevant to your enrollment term of the school from Japan Post Bank or the post office. On the next day you paid, your insurance becomes effective.
*Similarly be sure to apply “GAKKENSAI” as described above.